Friday, February 14, 2014

Busy Days

Busy days, we've all had them. Mine have run the gambit from rolling out of my bunk to road warrior chasing planes and travel deadlines to hours long commutes. These have all been portents to long days of their own.

In a crappy tent in East Africa, where not even the coldest winters dip below 65 at night, I laid in my bunk. I wasn't sleeping, but certainly not awake, just in some troubling limbo in between where rest wouldn't happen but nightmares came. The nightmares haunted even after the alarm woke me up.

Then, the commute was a walk to the showers, back to my tent to get dressed, to the dining facility, and then to my office inside razor wire topped fences with cameras and guards all about. The commute, my walk, was hot, muggy, and dusty. The dirt and dust was a strange rusty color. It stuck to you everywhere. While it was a fine, dusty material, it wasn't comfortable at all. It was a thick muddy substance in all the areas of skin that you forgot you had.

Once inside the office area, it is air conditioned and comfortable. But, that is where the stress sweat begins. The stink, too. The stench of sweat, too much coffee and energy drinks, cigarettes, and god knows what else hung in the air in that office. It was GO from the moment each person walked in the door to start their day and it did not stop until, oh, 18 hours later you threw up your hands in desperation, left for a war beer, a sweaty game of darts, another shower, and another night of almost sleeping and haunting nightmares.

Then there were those days that I had been dropped off at the airport to make it to the plane. Just in time, more often than not, getting to my terminal and boarding. I'd settle into a seat that was designed for a person of a smaller size. It isn't that I am fat, I exercise endlessly to relieve stress. I had been a power lifter many years ago and am now larger than most people, but, due to continuing aerobic raining, I am not fat. Still, those seats were not designed for people. They were designed for skeletons holding weights.

Soon, there was trying to fight my way through the slow moving herd of people heading to the baggage claim area. Why I rushed, I can't tell you. I always knew that I was going to have to wait along with every other person from that plane. Still, there I was, one of the first ones there to wait for the baggage feed to start moving, and one of the first people standing there to imagine themselves riding on the conveyor just for the fun of it because we've wanted to do that since we were kids.

Some of the people there were picking up their bags and heading to their beds, while others were heading off to their next flight. Yup, there I was, running through the terminal dragging my luggage because the tiny little wheels were hardly even decorations. Running at a mad dash and barely making it in time to board only to settle in and be that big sweaty guy who's breathing hard that someone has to sit beside. At least I would be able to have an overpriced drink with another horrid meal. I wouldn't be able to get a decent meal until I got back home, in about two weeks.

The day came when I gladly exchanged the road warrior status for the five hour daily commute. Getting up each day of the week and leaving the warmth and sanctity of my house in the cold, dark hours of pre-dawn so I could turn the computers on at my desk by six AM.

Daily body counts and movements of civilian, military, and para-military forces in areas that most Americans had no clue we were even operating in. This, and analyzing the carnage that went along with it, was my busy day. Coordinating efforts of people in various locations about my building, in other states, and odd places about the world all trying to tell some your troops, and a few old ones, who was where and what was why so they could do.

This daily list wore on me, ground me down until I could handle no more. Now, I commute from one end of my house to the other, often in rapid succession, in order to complete a series of simple tasks. All of which are geared towards getting my children up, dressed, cleaned, fed, lunches put together, out the door, onto buses, off to classes, and coffee made.

Busyness and running crazy hectic may never change or stop. At least, now I can do that in house slippers, dirty jeans, and a stained t-shirt and I don't have to shave or cut my hair in a certain special way.

No comments:

Post a Comment