Friday, February 7, 2014

An Adventure

“Go on an adventure,” he tells me.

“Walk into a part of town you haven't walked in before.” I had to stifle my own scoffing at that. The statement and the sentiment both hit me as ludicrous. You see, I have walked streets covered in Egyptian and Kuwaiti sands, African mud and African deserts. I have walked the city streets and the old market alleys under the watchful eyes if the gargoyle in the old tower in the ancient portions of old Sarajevo. Yes, I have even stood on the bridge where the Czechoslovakian Prince was assassinated, thus starting World War I.

So where do I walk now? On which streets do I find my adventures? By what boulevards does such a man drink his coffee to watch people and seek out adventures? The local park with his children, of course. Where else could such danger and accompanying bravery be found than in the superhero games of two ten year old boys?

There is no other place but at the playground that any man is going to feel greater, more accomplished, more important than when he is directly behind his daughter pushing her swing. Leaping from jiggly rock to uncertain log trying not to get wet while crossing the stream at the park provides enough suspense, danger, excitement, and daring for this father for one day, that is accompanied by laughter, hoots, and lightly taunting hollers, to satisfy this adventurers need for thrilling times.

There is no greater adventure than watching one's children grow, play, learn, and experience life and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment