Friday, November 15, 2013

The Door

I knocked, and no one answered.
I knocked again and, again, no one answered.
I knocked again and again, but still no answer came.

One day there was a response to my knock.
The voice, soft yet foreboding,asked me,
"Is this truly what you want?"
"Yes," said I without batting an eye.

The door creaked open a crack and revealed an eye.
As the eye studied me the voice, again, asked
"Is this truly what you want?"
slowly and carefully, yet without hesitation came
my reply, "Yes."

With knowledge I could not then ijmagine,
the eye saddened, looked downward a bit.
The door opened.
The voice quietly, darkly said, "Come in."

I stepped awkwardly through the door and
into a heavy darkness upon the threshold.
In that blackness I imagined the knowledge to be had,
the sights to be seen.
All the while, from within the darkness, eyes were watching me.

At once, I found the darkness gone, nowhere to be found.
In the light there were many things to see and strong
winds that buffeted against me.
All of which was undeniably and irreversibly changing me.

The newness of it all inspired, alerted, emboldened me.
It stretched and filled me.
Seeing now that which was hidden behind the door and in the darkness
from this precipice frightened me all the more.

I longed, I wished, I desired to go back again, back through that door
Sadly, I also knew that could never be.
This world I was a part of was now part of me and
going back could never be.

One day, from the darkness behind
there came a knock, a knock upon a door.
I tried to ignore that knock upon the door.
It beckoned again, again, and again some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment